15 May Monday Movement: Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are a fantastic full-body workout that targets a multitude of muscles in the body. Along with having its callisthenics and athletic benefits, it’s certainly up there with my top five full-body exercises.
- Increase in balance
- Increase in coordination
- Increase in your agility
- Increase in core, arm, shoulder strength
- Hip flexors
The Mountain Climber can be done as part of a circuit or at the end of your weights session. They get that heart rate up, get your lungs working hard and get a good sweat on.
- Position yourself in press-up position, keeping shoulders directly above hands. Contract your core, back, glutes and legs.
- Explosively drive one knee forward towards the chest.
- Then explosively drive right knee towards chest, driving left leg back to starting position.
- Finish the exercise by bringing both feet back to starting position with a strong, contracted structure through the whole body.
Pregression (beginners option) can be done by just stepping the feet in & out instead of the explosive movement.